To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

Call us now at:


Call us now at:


Options for H1-B Workers Affected by a Layoff

By Casey November 23, 2022 (Updated November 30, 2022) 2 min. read

An unexpected layoff can cause panic in anyone’s life, but when an H-1B worker loses their job, it can be especially daunting. This is because they must leave the country unless they find a new job or change their immigration status within 60 days.

H-1B visa holders may stay in the United States for up to 60 days after their last day of employment in H-1B status. During the 60-day grace period, the H-1B employee may look for a new job and find a new employer sponsor. Within the 60-day grace period, the new employer must file an H-1B change of employer petition. After receiving the H-1B transfer petition from US Citizenship and Immigration Services, the H-1B employee is eligible to begin working for the new employer (USCIS).

What Happens If I Can’t Find a New Job in 60 Days?

Individuals in H-1B status who are unable to find a new job and an employer sponsor within the 60-day grace period must leave the United States before the grace period expires. If this is not possible and the H-1B worker requires additional time to settle in the United States, they may change their status.

How Do I Change My H1-B Status?

If finding a job in the 60 days is not possible and the H-1B worker requires additional time to settle in the United States, they may file a Form I-539 application to change status from H-1B to B-2 visitor status for up to 6 months.

There are also other nonimmigrant statuses that an H1-B visa holder may qualify to apply for. These include an H-4 status as the spouse of an H-1B visa holder or an O-1 status as an individual with extraordinary ability.

When Should I File to Change My Status?

Any application for a change of status must be submitted before the end of the 60-day grace period. We advise against international travel following a layoff and during the grace period because it may jeopardize eligibility to transfer H-1B status to another employer. We also advise keeping pay stubs and requesting an employment verification letter as proof of the last day of H-1B employment.

Is It Possible to Immigrate to Canada as an H-1b Holder?

Yes! H1-B workers in the United States have a fantastic opportunity to immigrate to Canada via Express Entry, which is heavily weighted toward favoring young, educated, and ambitious workers with proven potential to succeed in their field.

Do You Need Help Changing Your H1-B Status?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for VisaPlace Legal, an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1-on-1 consultation now or call us at 1-877-296-0874.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Christopher Miller Avatar

Christopher Miller

Thank you for guiding us through this complicated process. Although the first part of our process with Visaplace we felt was slow, they turned it around. In the end we had a good experience with their attorney, she was determined to get it right and deserves to be commended.

Michael Klaper Avatar

Michael Klaper

I was very pleased with the service provided to me by VisaPlace. Felicita was professional and persistent, even contacting my employer to help fill out the Employer Portal. She went the extra mile and prepared a package of forms and documentation that let my wife and I breeze through the Canada Border Services process and be issued Canadian work permits.I feel I definitely got my money’s worth with these people.
Michael Klaper, M.D.

Laurence Arpin Avatar

Laurence Arpin

Successfully obtained my US L1 Visa thanks to Visaplace. We had some problems with document retrieval at first but they’d been there before and guided us through. Highly recommended.

Barb Petruzzi Avatar

Barb Petruzzi

Bansuri was wonderful! She was so helpful and made me feel more comfortable about the process. Give her a raise! She deserves it and I thank her for the help.

blake naze Avatar

blake naze

Bansuri helped us book our consultation at Visaplace. She was very professional and super friendly and had a good array of knowledge to guide us to the right legal attorney. Highly recommend giving Visaplace a call. Thanks Bansuri!

Zachary McGillivray Avatar

Zachary McGillivray

Anis was super helpful with a great attitude, he took extra care to make sure we had all the correct information and even called me back to ensure everything was in order. I can confirm, Anis is a true professional with his work.

Hina Patel Avatar

Hina Patel

A while ago, I consulted with Mansi Sanghvi regarding my Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) application. She assisted in clarifying my doubts and instilled confidence in me. I subsequently received my nomination. I extend my gratitude to Mansi for her invaluable assistance. I wholeheartedly recommend her, as She possesses considerable experience and demonstrates generosity. Thank you Mansi!