If My US Visa Has Expired, What Do I Do?

By Sierra Alongi April 20, 2020 (Updated April 21, 2020) 3 min. read
us passport

Many times individuals have found themselves in a situation where their US Visa has expired and as some may know, it’s extremely important to understand what that means for one’s immigration status.

Whether you are on a visitor visa, study permit, or work permit, an expired visa is something to take seriously as it could lead to serious problems and possible deportation.

Due to Coronavirus, going about an expired visa or soon to be expired visa may be a bit challenging. As this is a very important topic to stay on top of, we advise you to contact VisaPlace and let our immigration professionals help you with your next steps.

What Happens if my US Visa Expires?

A visa is considered an entry document and can expire while you are in the U.S.  There is no issue if your visa expires while you are legally present in the U.S.  As long as your status is still valid and you continue to follow all immigration regulations, you can continue to remain in the U.S. even if your visa has expired.  The status does not end when the visa expires.

However, you will require a valid visa anytime you seek entry into the U.S.  If your visa expires and you are traveling internationally, you will need to get a new visa or else you will not be able to return to the U.S.

Expired Study Permit

Technically you can stay in the United States on an expired study visa as long as you maintain your student status. However, if you are returning home or traveling to a country where automatic revalidation does not apply, you must have a valid visa to return to the United States.

Expired Work Permit

If you have a work permit that expires, you should always apply for an extension of your work permit at least 90 days before it expires. This is because immigration may take a long time to renew it. It is very important to stay on top of your study permit expiration as it could also cause problems for you and your place of employment.

What if I Decide to Stay Longer and Am Out-of-Status?

You should carefully consider the dates of your authorized stay and make sure you are following the procedures. Failure to do so will cause you to be out-of-status. Staying beyond the period of time authorized, by the Department of Homeland Security, and out-of-status in the United States, is a violation of U.S. immigration laws, and may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future for return travel to the United States.

Has Your US Visa Expired or Have You OverStayed Your US Visa?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.