To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

Call us now at:


Call us now at:


Sponsoring Children for Immigration to the USA

If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident with children abroad and you're looking to sponsor them to join you, you may be eligible to do so through US child sponsorship. 
Learn more about this family immigration pathway!

Interested in immigrating to the United States?
Fill out our immigration assessment form today.

Oftentimes, a parent will immigrate to the US before the rest of their family in order to establish stability for their family to later join. When a parent or parents do decide to sponsor a child or children to the US, there are a number of requirements they must meet.

"Children" vs. "Son/Daughter"

For the purposes of immigration, a “child” is defined as unmarried and under the age of 21. If your child is over the age of 21 and/or married, they are considered a “son” or “daughter” and not a “child.” Your relationship to your child is also important, as they must be:

  • a genetic child born in wedlock
  • a genetic child born out of wedlock
  • a step-child whose relationship was formed before they turned 18, or
  • an adopted child who was adopted prior to age 16 (barring the exception of siblings).

Child Sponsorship Eligibilty

US Citizens

 A US citizen may sponsor:

  • Children (meaning unmarried and under 21)
  • Unmarried sons and daughters (21 or over)
  • Married sons and daughters (of any age)
US Green Card Holders

A US permanent resident/green card holder may sponsor:

  • Children (unmarried and under 21)
  • Unmarried sons and daughters (21 or over)

Both categories include the dependents of those petitioned.

Documents Required

To sponsor a child, son, or daughter to the US, it is important to gather and present all required documentation. While these may be dependent on your status and relationship to the beneficiary, any applicant is required to file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Aside from this, you will need to provide some form of proof of your US citizenship, permanent residence, as well as proof of your relationship to your child.

Are you interested in sponsoring a child, son, or daughter to the United States?

Applying for family sponsorship can be a complex process to take on alone without professional help. We recommend hiring an immigration lawyer or consultant to ensure your application is carried out completely, correctly, and the best it can be to guarantee success Book a consultation to get started!